Monday, May 10, 2010

Developer Release 1 coming soon

I am getting very close to releasing Developer Release 1. The current plan is to have it out by the end of May. This release will be aimed at developers and people who don't mind rough edges. The release will have the ability to control infra-red devices and act as a Bluetooth keyboard for computers. I do expect a lot of configurations to not work correctly, especially around the Bluetooth keyboard support. I have only tested on Windows XP, Windows Vista, SuSE Linux, and Ubuntu Linux. Hopefully I will get enough bug reports to make Xeblix a lot more stable and usable on many different platforms (I am looking at you Playstation 3).

Part of the release will be installation/user documentation. Installation of the Xeblix server will be a little tricky due to bugs I have found in various third party libraries. I do plan to have step-by-step instructions to make installation as easy as possible. I will also provide documentation explaining how to configure remotes for Xeblix. This initial release will not have a GUI to add/remove remotes so hand editing configuration files will be necessary.

I will also have build/architecture documentation for developers to build the software and hopefully contribute. I expect a lot of bugs to be found which will be a great way for any developers who are interested in the project to start getting familiar with the code.

After Developer Release 1 is out I plan to add support for Xeblix server on Windows. The windows server port should be the major feature for Developer Release 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment