Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Windows server

I have been investigating getting Xeblix server working on windows. My original idea for the Xeblix server was to run on some standalone hardware like the SheevaPlug but making such a device a requirement would keep Xeblix from a lot of potential users. Right now the Xeblix server only works on Linux as it is tied to Bluez and Lirc, but I want users with Windows media machines to be able to run the server as well.

My original idea was to have Xeblix server running inside a virtual Linux machine running on a Windows host, but I am having some performance problems I believe related to virtual machine usb latency.

However now I think I can port the server to Windows. It is possible to build Lirc with Cygwin, but there is no Lirc driver support in windows. Fortunately you can build Lirc with a udp "driver" and have other applications consume the udp messages and forward to actual hardware. I am looking at having Lirc forward to EventGhost right now. Once that is working I will need to port the Bluez specific code to windows which shouldn't be too difficult. I will also need to add some keyboard/mouse support for controlling the host Windows machine (can't use Bluetooth HID Keyboard profile to connect back to itself). If all this works then Xeblix will run on both Linux and Windows. Its kind of strange to think of making a Windows PC look like a bluetooth keyboard to other Bluetooth devices, but in theory it should work.

No comments:

Post a Comment